Parliament Of Owls

An eclectic discussion of Life, Science, Politics, Religion, and the occasional Bad Pun.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Why I oppose the Miers nomination.

I've been sitting on the sidelines, watching this slow-motion train wreck unfold. Now it's time for me to speak up.

I oppose the Miers nomination for two reasons.

First and foremost, I do not believe that Harriet Miers is the right person for the job. She may be a wonderful person, but wonderful people don't always translate into the best performers of a given job.

I've yet to read, see or hear anything other than "trust us" or "give deference to presidential nominations" as a justification for Ms. Miers' nomination. Sorry, but those just don't cut it.

Second, it appears that she was nominated for all of the wrong reasons. Republicans control the Senate. There is no reason, and no excuse, for not nominating someone with both an established knowledge of constitutional law and a healthy respect for that law (I think the term is "constructionist", but I could be very wrong. I'm a math / computing Owl, not a law Owl).

There comes a time, when foes rise up and challenge you, when you must make a decision; a decision to either kowtow to your foes, or stand firm and say "Bring it on."

I believe it's quite apparent what Mr. Bush has decided.

}8-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home